We had our beginnings in a land called Indian Territory.
Prior to the relocation of Native American tribes from the Southeastern states to Indian Territory in the mid-1800s, our land had been claimed by England, Spain and France.
The Louisiana Purchase Treaty, dated April 30, 1803 , included the area now known as Oklahoma. President Jefferson thought that the purchase of this vast territory would be just the place to put the Native Americans, whom the government thought were plaguing the people in the East. These native peoples, however, were just protecting their lands and culture.
The Indian Removal Act of 1830 spelled doom for the Native Americans in the Southeastern part of the United States . The removal of the Creek (Muscogee) people took place during the final months of 1836 and the spring and summer of 1837. The U.S. Army troops organized what is now known as the Trail of Tears and forcibly moved these proud people to a new land-Indian Territory.
Our area became part of the lands given to the Creeks, whose country had covered nearly all of what is now Alabama and Georgia. The Euchee (Yuchi) Tribe was also included with the Creeks after relocation, although their language and culture were different. Sapulpa continues to have a large Native American population consisting of both these tribes.
A young Creek tribesman, whom we now call Sapulpa (only one name), made the move to Indian Territory around 1840 and settled about a mile southeast of the present-day city of Sapulpa. Here he established a trading post. During the Civil War, the man Sapulpa served in the Confederate Army. Following his discharge from the army he returned to this area and later began ranching.
In the early 1880s, the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad built a spur from Tulsa to our area to transport walnut logs to Eastern markets. The man Sapulpa befriended the railroad workers, and they began calling this village "Sapulpa Station." In 1898 Sapulpa was chartered as a town, and since that time we have honored the man Sapulpa by bearing his name.
Sapulpa is approximately 15 miles southwest of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and
is located on Interstate 44, Oklahoma State Highways 66 and 97,
and U. S. 75A.
Once called the "Crossroads of America", Sapulpa was at the intersection
of U.S. Highway 66 and U.S. Highway 75. In the days before interstate highways
were constructed, U.S. 66 was the main east/west highway in our nation (running
Chicago to Los Angeles ), and U.S. 75 was the main north/south highway (running
border-to-border from Canada to the Gulf Coast at Galveston, Texas.)
When the Glenn Pool oil field was discovered a few miles away in 1905, the area grew from a very small village to a prosperous city within a few years. Because of the availability of natural gas from the Glenn Pool field, glass plants located here. We are still home to Bartlett-Collins Company, which manufactures tableware, and St. Gobain (formerly Liberty Glass Company), which manufactures beverage containers. At one time we also had Sunflower Glass Company, which made window glass, and Schramm Glass Factory, which manufactured canning jars.
In 1938, John and Grace Lee Frank moved their Frankoma Pottery to our city. The plant is located north of Sapulpa and still manufactures beautiful tableware.